Pages

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Growing Volunteers




Last month I noticed volunteer sunflowers growing amongst the pansies.  Since then they've grown a foot or two.  I love sunflowers and am curious to see how tall they will grow and if they will have nice true flowers.


Today I was pulling the last of the deadened tulips and noticed a tomato plant.  Unlike the sunflowers, I know how a tomato plant ended up in the tulip bed.  Last year while preparing the bed, I filled it with a lot of yard and garden waste, including two grape tomato plants.




We're getting close to some good sugar peas!


Of all our flowers, I am very happy with these calendula plants.  I started these from seed inside, planting in mid-February.



Potatoes don't often conjure up images of flowers, but I like the potato plant flower


...and because watering at my house is often a contact sport, one should always wear a helmet.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog about the hosts. Where in MD do you live? I'm in Baltimore Co very near Howard Co. We lived for many years when daughters were young in Columbia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marcia. You have a nice blog. I live in Perryville, which is at the mouth of the Susquehanna River in Cecil County.

      Delete