Pages

Friday, June 28, 2013

Don't Worry, Bee Happy


The volunteer sunflowers bloomed this week, and when I got home from work this afternoon the bees were busily going about their own work.


Although we have blueberry bushes, they are still small and only good for collecting a handful at a time.  I planned on going to a blueberry farm this evening because they are only open for limited times, and I have a lot to do this weekend.  The farm is only about fifteen miles away, but at about two miles from home a large storm blew in.


And then it poured....so, I turned around  Of course, it wasn't raining at home.  Weather is fascinating in how localized it can be.  I might be able to pick blueberries tomorrow, but the farm is only open until noon, and I have other engagements prior to that.  


Well, instead of blueberries I ended up picking purple beans for dinner.  I just love how the purple stands out from the green foliage.


The seeds we planted last week are all coming up nicely.  The two rows on the left are more purple beans.


The beans are vibrant green on the inside.  Once cooked, the entire bean is green.


I have found immense satisfaction in growing and preparing my own food.  Nothing fancy, but with the exception of the store-bought mustard and ground pepper, tonight's dinner was all fresh; bread was baked on Wednesday (although the ingredients - except the honey - were store-bought), beans and basil were picked today, and those are some of today's eggs.  Bee Happy.  Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. We've planted purple beans this year, but none are fruiting yet. I bet it is easy to spot them for picking. I look forward to that. I didn't know they turned green when cooked. Its like magic!

    ReplyDelete