Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

The Battle of the Bossche Bol

My wife's family is from Holland.  In 2010, my wife and I were able to spend about a week and a half in Holland, visiting with her relatives and having a wonderful time.  While that was my first vacation trip to Europe, I have been to many European cities along the Mediterranean Sea region while I was in the military.  I absolutely love Europe.  Perhaps it is due to naivety, or maybe due to the enchanting charm of centuries-old buildings, but I always felt more comfortable walking aimlessly around Rome, Constanta, or Barcelona, than I do Baltimore, Philadelphia, or D.C.  Some of Europe's awesomeness that my wife and I discovered during our trip were Bossche Bols; a fantastic chocolate cream puff type dessert from Den Bosch.  Den Bosch is about an hours drive from Amsterdam (well, probably everything in Holland is about an hours drive from Amsterdam).      


Tonight I attempted to replicate the total awesomeness that is the Bossche Bol by following this recipe.  I'll start out by saying that it would take a lot of work to make something with that much butter and chocolate taste bad.  Aesthetics on the other hand, well, okay Den Bosch, clearly I am not your equal.


But I was impressed with how relatively easy this was to make.  And, as I am some 4,000 miles away from the real deal, these are good enough.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment